Pages

Tuesday 23 September 2014

To cowl or not to cowl?

That is the question. I've made M6604 twice now. The first time I ended up with bewbsmiles...

M6604


As someone else said, "It is too tight but with too much excess fabric at the same time". (Sorry don't know who said it but from now on I will try to remember to save these posts to refer to later.)

But I did think it was worth another try. So then I made version two.

M6604
Unfortunately I made this a while ago and now can't remember exactly what alterations I made. I think I cheated by just adding to the centre front thinking that I could then take in the extra in the neckline tucks.

While this has largely solved the bewbsmile issue, there is now too much fabric around the shoulders.

Now I realise that I probably have to do an FBA. Which is fine and I probably will make another with one at some stage. But I would really like to try the cowl neck  version.

But given the fit issues I've already encountered I'm not even sure what size to start with. The first version started at 20 then down to 18. The second is an altered 18. I also cannot get my head around trying to do any sort of FBA on a cowl.

So any ideas? Have you made M6604? How did you go? Any and all thoughts or suggestions are very welcome.



Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I have not made this top. Can you please post a picture of the pattern piece (for the front)? It wiill be helpful.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would be helpful, wouldn't it? I'll see what I can do.

      Thanks

      Delete
  2. Yup, you definitely want to start with a smaller size in the shoulders and then FBA from there. If the second top is an 18, I'd drop down to at least a 16 as a starting point. For the cowl version, you could probably rotate the FBA dart to the front shoulder seams as either pleats or shirring, which should enhance the effect of the cowl front. At least, that's what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Michelle. I really didn't even know where to start with an FBA and a cowl. But rotated to pleats at the shoulder is an excellent idea. Cheers

      Delete
  3. Yes, I agree with Michelle - it's going to be about the FBA! You need to size down to fit around the shoulder and upper chest, then size up via a FBA for the bewbs. I did come across a FBA tutorial for cowl necks - http://inhousepatterns.com/blogs/news/5866071-the-efg-bust-adjustment-cowl-neck - it might be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the cowl FBA link. I'll check that out.

      Delete

I love to hear from readers, so please leave a comment.